Re: Silk screens over pads and naming

On 02/06/14 20:18, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 07:34:12PM +0100, John Beard wrote:
What is the cost of the yellow layer?

The 'cost' of the fabrication layer is simply the full component outline
(99% of the times a rectangle) and a corner line for pin 1. But it's not
supported anyway.

But if it were, it wouldn't be part of the actual board, or have I
misunderstood? So it wouldn't increase the actual cost of a unit, but is
rather used for having a reference document to hand (presumably
partnered with the BOM)?

It's not really a constraint, they simply tell you: if it's smaller
I don't guarantee a thing (and proceed with a 0.2mm line:D). So small
refdes come out as ink blobs

Well, a practical lower limit rather than constraint. But would that be
a good "default" value for the major silk lines and text? I used 0.2 for
the outline and 0.15mm for the text in my first attempt at the
PicoBlades. I think a lot of people using KiCad (like me) are not using
very advanced fabrication technologies!

Physical-collison-detecting DRC sounds handy - I nearly put a resistor
under a QFP on my first KiCad PCB!

It happens with very big components too (thing about heatsinks). Don't
worry it's a common mistake (however you can usefully nest the gate
resistor in the lower space of a D3PAK, right beside the pin...)

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind!

There is another reason for courtyard excess, namely reworking
clearance. BGAs have extra courtyard because the desoldering nozzle is
big!

I was thinking more of last time I tried to manually hot-air reflow a
joint that was too close to a plastic header and melted it out of shape.
Why make those out of such low-melting-temperature and combustible
material, I ask! ;-)

John