Re: RFC: Launchpad team index page redesign

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Christian Robottom
Reis<kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 03:08:53PM -0500, Edwin Grubbs wrote:
>> I have been tasked with creating mockups of the redesign of the team
>> index page. Here is the wiki page containing the mockups.
>>
>>   https://dev.launchpad.net/TeamIndexPage
>
> The comments I have:
>
>    - The "Public Team".. button? looks strange. There's already
>      precedent in the bugs page for displaying "This bug is public";
>      why not use that? I also note that the private team display should
>      probably be made consistent with the private bug indication. And I
>      don't like the stripes horizontally, though vertically along the
>      page I do.

I was trying out something new, since I'm not a fan of turning fields
into sentences, although I understand that something like "Visibility:
Public" would be odd. I was originally trying to overlap the
horizontal bar and the visibility status, since it is not at all
obvious that the stripes mean it's private. Curtis says it should go
in the sidebar's action menu, since it represents global state. There
used to be a large padlock icon to indicate items were private that
overlapped a large horizontal striped line. This was much clearer for
anyone new to launchpad.
I really think that privacy is the most important thing to know after
the title, so I would like it to stand out more than a plain text
sentence in the middle of the page.

>    - The details section email links could be clarified. First, I'd
>      write "Contact this team's administrators" since that's what I
>      think that link actually does. And putting the mailing list there
>      is confusing; either it goes under Mailing list or here.
>
>      I think the long-term plan should be to further separate mailing
>      lists from teams, and that also implies having them cleanly
>      displayed separately is nicer.

I definitely don't think the mailing list email address should show up
twice, however, the team may have an email address that does not
represent a mailing list, so I think it would be more consistent to
always display the email address in the Details portlet instead of the
Mailing List portlet.

>    - I wrote separately about the Add member link.
>
>    - I totally agree with Martin that a team page that doesn't actually
>      list team members.. is wrong. I'm not sure how many people or
>      information it makes sense to display, but it's the main visual
>      change you'd want to use to differentiate between a person and a
>      team page.

Agreed.

-Edwin