Re: how can we clean up the confusion of sourcecode vs. buildout?

On Aug 15, 2009, at 11:33 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

On Aug 14, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Gary Poster wrote:

- We can continue to make sourcecode have fewer and fewer branches so people don't think about it much if ever. I'm working on this-- the branch to put all the zope branches in buildout is in review!-- but maybe we shouldn't be waiting for this?

Hi Gary,

First, thanks for this information and for /all/ the great work you've been doing on making our build environment sane(r :).

:-)

I can't speak for anybody else, but most of my confusion in this area has been because we're in a transition. I'm sometimes uncertain as to whether something's been moved into buildout or not, so completing the task really seems like the best solution.

OK, cool.

Question: is the ultimate goal to completely get rid of sourcecode, so that all packages come from buildout?

I just updated the Hacking document ( https://dev.launchpad.net/ Hacking#Buildout ) with the current answer, AIUI.

That was our original goal. We still want to shrink it to a very small size, maybe to exclusively hold canonical-identify-provider and shipit. We then might connect those in using develop eggs, rather than symlinks in lib/.

If you need help getting some of this code reviewed, please ping me and I'll make time to do it.

Thank you!  I hope to take you up on that. :-)

Gary