Re: [Merge] lp:~edwin-grubbs/launchpad/team-edit-pages into lp:launchpad/devel

Hi Edwin, everyone.

Let me describe the general layout of a page. I hope I can expose the
lies in the names used.

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 04:48 +0000, Edwin Grubbs wrote:
> This came up before, but I never saw a conclusion on irc.
>
> [2:21 PM] <EdwinGrubbs> sinzui: Why does the base-layout.pt include
> the context/title in the heading slot, when the location portlet
> already has the context/title from the fmt:location_heading?
> [2:21 PM] <sinzui> EdwinGrubbs: they will not be the same when printed
> [2:22 PM] <EdwinGrubbs> sinzui: huh, they are the same on the edit pages.
> [2:22 PM] <sinzui> EdwinGrubbs: beuno We need to change s names in the
> base-layout. because the parts are not what we intended
> [2:23 PM] <sinzui> EdwinGrubbs: beuno: The location portlet is a
> branding-watermark. The heading-slot is now the final breakcrumb
> location
> [2:23 PM] <sinzui> EdwinGrubbs: See: https://launchpad.dev/firefox/trunk/+edit
> [2:25 PM] <sinzui> beuno: I think every engineer mis uses the
> heading-slot because they think that is where the page_title goes to
> make the <h1> and <title>
> [2:30 PM] <beuno> sinzui, ah
> [2:30 PM] <beuno> how can we fix that?

Attached is a picture that labels the lies and truths about the
launchpad 3.0 header. As a rule:

      * Do not believe any part does what it name claims it is.
      * Do not use the heading-slot unless you are making the +index on
        a model object.

Michael misunderstood that Martin was asking for branding that act as a
watermark. It is not a location. When there is no pillar or person, it
correctly shows launchpad.net is the brand

The tabs are clearly not tabs, We use them as applications.

I misunderstood that that heading Martin was asking for was the context
object that is part of breadcrumbs. It is not the page title. The only
time we pass to the heading slot is when the context and the page title
are the same...because showing two identical titles is stupid.

The breadcrumbs will be below the context title. Maybe Salgado can give
them a clear name that describes what they are. You may need to override
the breadcrumbs if the object has multiple owners.

The first content in the main content is a <h1> It should also be
identical to the page title. For forms that use the launchpadform
macros, you do not need to think, The macro will create the label as the
<h1>. Add a page_title property to your view that returns self.label.
The page will DTRT.

After the header there should be some narrative for content objects,
such as summary, description, homepage. Forms may have content too in
the extra slot. (See a project or projectgroup.)

The content object's information/details should follow. you may divide
the main content into 2 columns. If you do, the information/details is
the first portlet on the left. (See a project or projectgroup.)

If there are pages that relate to the content, but do not fit in the
content, create a menu and place it as the last portlet in the main
content area. This is the same as the series and milestone pages.

The side portlets will always take this order of they exist:
      * Action links (no heading)
      * Downloads
      * Subscribers
      * Annoucements
      * Events

Because we want the side porlets to convey activity, We expect to see
dates near downloads, annoucements, and events so it clear that these
are not static parts of the object. (put static parts in the main
content).

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/