Re: Branch page 3.0

Martin Albisetti wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Tim Penhey<tim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think the commands for updating the branch and getting the branch are also
>> not that interesting most of the time.  It is useful when you don't know
>> anything about launchpad, but once you do it is just noise.
>

>> Perhaps... perhaps we have different layouts based on the different types of
>> branches.
>
> I think it's just variations on the same template, we just need to
> figure it out on a case-by-case basis.

I agree-- we should emphasize the commonality, so that people don't have
to learn to read 4 different branch page layouts.

> Uploaded new version to: http://people.canonical.com/~beuno/branch-index2.png
> (that's all I could get done today)

I hope the description isn't the kind of description you're expecting,
because that would be redundant with the merge proposal description.

I'd expect something shorter, like "Provides the ability to subscribe
without a single pageload."  But actually, I'd expect descriptions will
only be used in long-lived forks.

I think "propose for merging" would fit better in the menu.  "Delete
this branch" looks lonely :-)

I don't know why you're forcing the merge to be proposed into
lp:launchpad.  How would I propose a merge into db-devel, for example?

I think by "Default reviewer" you mean the review team of
~beuno/launchpad/project-group-custom-icons.  But the review team
lp:launchpad will be used (not the review team of the source branch) if
you propose a merge of project-group-custom-icons into lp:launchpad, so
the association of this item with "propose for merging in to
lp:launchpad" is very misleading.  I recommend putting "review team"
next to "owner".

I don't see any place where users can find out the format of the branch.
 It shouldn't be prominent, but it needs to be somewhere.

Should we show what branch it's stacked on?

Where should we show that a branch is public or private?

How should we indicate whether this branch is hosted, imported, mirrored
or remote?

However we allow users to edit the branch name and owner, we definitely
want to have a confirmation dialog, probably indicating the old URL and
new URL.

Aaron