Re: Branch page 3.0

2009/8/21 Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Uploaded new version to: http://people.canonical.com/~beuno/branch-index2.png
>> (that's all I could get done today)
>
> I hope the description isn't the kind of description you're expecting,
> because that would be redundant with the merge proposal description.

It might be interesting, as separate work, to consider having the
draft of the eventual mp unified with the branch description.  "What
I'm trying to do" --> "what I did".

> I'd expect something shorter, like "Provides the ability to subscribe
> without a single pageload."  But actually, I'd expect descriptions will
> only be used in long-lived forks.
>
> I think "propose for merging" would fit better in the menu.  "Delete
> this branch" looks lonely :-)

"Propose for merge" should be an action that people do all the time,
so its position and prominence should reflect that.

> I don't know why you're forcing the merge to be proposed into
> lp:launchpad.  How would I propose a merge into db-devel, for example?
>
> I think by "Default reviewer" you mean the review team of
> ~beuno/launchpad/project-group-custom-icons.  But the review team
> lp:launchpad will be used (not the review team of the source branch) if
> you propose a merge of project-group-custom-icons into lp:launchpad, so
> the association of this item with "propose for merging in to
> lp:launchpad" is very misleading.  I recommend putting "review team"
> next to "owner".

It's not very clear to me what 'review team' means or why you'd want
to know about it now.  I thought it would mean 'people who get
notified' but apparently not.

> I don't see any place where users can find out the format of the branch.
>  It shouldn't be prominent, but it needs to be somewhere.
>
> Should we show what branch it's stacked on?

Those two perhaps should be in a portlet?

> Where should we show that a branch is public or private?

Isn't the top-right the standard location?

> How should we indicate whether this branch is hosted, imported, mirrored
> or remote?

Also in the info portlet?

> However we allow users to edit the branch name and owner, we definitely
> want to have a confirmation dialog, probably indicating the old URL and
> new URL.

I think this should be an action near delete.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>