Re: Free Software Project Hosting (a comparison of different options)

Jonathan Lange wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Maris Fogels<maris.fogels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 09-08-09 04:29 PM, Tom Berger wrote:
>>> http://changelog.complete.org/archives/1123-free-software-project-hosting
>>>
>>> The author is surveying several "project hosting" solutions.

>>> Launchpad does let you “import” branches from another VCS such as Git
>>> or svn. I set up an “import” branch for a test project yesterday. 12
>>> hours later, it still hasn’t imported anything; it’s just sitting at
>>> “pending review.” I have no idea if it ever will, or why setting up a
>>> bzr branch requires no review but a git branch requires review. So I
>>> am unable to test the integration between it and the changesets, which
>>> is really annoying.
>>>
>>> So, some possibilities here, but the bzr-only thing really bugs me.
>>> And having to have my git trees reviewed really goes against the
>>> “quick and simple” project setup that I would have preferred to see.
>> That's a pity - our current policy is to automatically approve git source
>> imports, since we can safely assume that they will work.
>>
>> (Note that we review CVS and SVN imports because they often do *not* work
>> out of the box.)
>>
>> Can we change the vcs-import code so that it automatically approves Git
>> imports?  It would improve the user experience.
>>

> We should automatically approve all of them. To support this properly
> though, we need a report of failing imports.

For Subversion, particularly, it's not that inaccurate input will fail
that's the problem, it's that the import will succeed expensively and/or
somewhat uselessly, e.g. someone typing
http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/ into the form.  We might
be able to steal some heuristics from bzr-svn for trying to figure out
which directories in svn correspond to branches in the bzr sense; I'm
not sure what it does for that these days.

Cheers,
mwh