Re: [RFC] Build branch to archive

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Celso Providelo wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Aaron Bentley<aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I know that Jobs provide their own queue system, so I don't know whether
>>>  BuildQueue duplicates that.
>> It possibly duplicates the queue infrastructure itself, and
>> additionally ordering/re-prioritizing which doesn't seem to be
>> possibly with the current Job table.
>
> So it seems like we've already got the duplication, but what you're
> proposing could be a step towards unification.  That sounds positive to me.

Yes, indeed.

> Job doesn't provide an ordering mechanism, but BranchJob provides
> arbitrary metadata via the JSON field, so you can plug one in if you want.

I'd just say that here the JSON field is a bit of a red herring; I very
much expect that we'll want to do the ordering in database queries, and
that means having the data in a place that the database can easily see
it.  But that's OK, I think, we have schema patches for a reason :)

Cheers,
mwh