Re: Data point on site-wide search capability and domain branding.

Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> In my experience this is a non-issue: you search google with 'distcc
> connection refused' and it searches the list archives plus more
> distribution-specific data or third-party data than will ever be
> collected on the project site.  Google will infer the cross-site
> links.

Site search is still important because it's a natural bound that the
user might try to use: "I know what I'm looking for is in the project's
Launchpad pages, because I've seen it before or I was told it's there --
now I just have to find it".

This is why virtually every serious site on the Internet offers
site-bound search :-).  (Most sites aren't a collection of
semi-independent projects like Launchpad.  In Launchpad, project-bound
search is probably the analog to site-bound search everywhere else.)

> I think the key thing is a wiki or some other means of publishing a site.

Agreed -- crucial.