Re: Data point on site-wide search capability and domain branding.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Karl Fogel<karl.fogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> In my experience this is a non-issue: you search google with 'distcc
>> connection refused' and it searches the list archives plus more
>> distribution-specific data or third-party data than will ever be
>> collected on the project site.  Google will infer the cross-site
>> links.
>
> Site search is still important because it's a natural bound that the
> user might try to use: "I know what I'm looking for is in the project's
> Launchpad pages, because I've seen it before or I was told it's there --
> now I just have to find it".
>
> This is why virtually every serious site on the Internet offers
> site-bound search :-).  (Most sites aren't a collection of
> semi-independent projects like Launchpad.  In Launchpad, project-bound
> search is probably the analog to site-bound search everywhere else.)

I agree about the analogy.

However, Launchpad could offer something more than that. In theory, it
could also offer search within a project and all of the dependencies
of that project (nicking the dependency information from Ubuntu). Or
some other way of searching within a set of related projects.

People will always want to search within one project, but I think we
can offer more.

jml