Re: Today's project page review

2009/9/3 Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Christian Robottom
> Reis<kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 12:34:34PM -0300, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
>>> Was taking a look at https://edge.launchpad.net/lilregcleaner and had a
>>> few bits of feedback to give on the project page; perhaps these are
>>> small enough bits that we can address pre-3.0. Here goes:
>>
>> The obvious omission:
>>
>>    - There's nothing on the project page presenting merge proposals or
>>      code branches to the casual visitor, and that's a pretty obvious
>>      gap. The project page is a great way to advertise a service, and
>>      we should definitely be advertising our code hosting platform.
>
> Given the current design philosophy of the page, I agree.
>
> However, I think that putting _everything_ that might potentially be
> of interest in the one page will have the net effect of making
> features less visible.

I agree.

One way to approach this is to do an overall timeline-like or
wall-like view, so that projects that do a lot of merge proposals or
reviews or bugs show up that way.  Similarly for people.  It may
provide a good "stuff is happening" view.

However the way this is done in Trac or Redmine or github does have
some risk that you see "stuff is happening" but you're not so much
invited to interact in a way that's meaningful to you.  For someone
new to the project it's good to know there's lots of code activity,
but they probably actually want to get a download or report a bug ...
or see some screenshots or documentation or ...

So I think we want a unified timeline plus other stuff.  But probably
not for 3.0.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>