Re: Today's project page review

On Sep 2, 2009, at 8:46 PM, Jonathan Lange wrote:

However, I think that putting _everything_ that might potentially be
of interest in the one page will have the net effect of making
features less visible.

I completely agree. Take for example, the index page of a project that uses a lot of LP services, such as Bazaar: https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr

This page is way way too busy. There's more information on the page than I can see in one screen or that I can process quickly. With all the information on the page, I actually can't find what I'm interested in very easily. There's information I don't care about (right now) that's given more prominence than it should have, and it's just visually overwhelming.

It reminds me of the problem my son has with his math homework. If he's given a page full of writing with 20 problems to solve, he gets overwhelmed by the magnitude of the work involved. If however, you block out everything but the one problem he's working on at the moment, it becomes so much more manageable, in fact, easy!

What I care about on this page depends on who I am, or maybe what hat I'm wearing. I don't think the page is fatally flawed, but I do think it could benefit from hiding most of the information, with selective in-page reveals for the stuff I'm interested in.

For example, right now I don't care about the Project information, or the Series and milestones, or frankly the Downloads, which takes up an entire screen's worth of vertical space on the right side. I don't care about the FAQs or the Latest questions. What I care about right now are the latest bugs and how to get involved, but I have to scroll down a page to see any of this.

The Bazaar project page is probably an outlier (the Mailman page doesn't look as bad maybe because we don't use Answers and don't have many Downloads). The person index page is similarly packed with too much information, but it's more manageable because of the single column layout and the fact that I don't hit a person's page nearly as often as I hit a project page. (Although the fact that I NoScript block google.com leading to a big empty white desert in the middle of my page is disconcerting, until I click off Display map.)

Most of the 3.0 pages are fantastic improvements, so a rethinking of what's important on these index pages and how to best present the information would be worth it.

-Barry