Re: RFC: Bug page 3.0 redesign

On 2009-09-08 12:03:12 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> "Also notified" has never had a clear meaning to me, maybe it means
> "Implicitly subscribed" and should say so?  On for example
> <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/392355> there are two
> screenfuls of people 'also notified', many of whom I've never heard of
> and don't care about.  I am sometimes interested in who's specifically
> shown interest in the bug by subscribing but I don't think I've ever
> cared about the 'also notified' list.  So it seems like a waste of
> space.  If it's really needed, maybe it can be behind a disclosure
> triangle.

I find the idea behind this portlet a good one and it should stay
expanded by default. I find it useful to see who gets notified about the
bug I just filed (or if someone gets notified at all).

The problem I see is the long list of implicit subscribers coming from
bug subscriptions to *all* Ubuntu bugs and making this portlet useless
for me (at least for bugs on packages) as can't tell anymore if someone
gets notified who really cares about the package.

When I look at the implicit subscribers for the above mentioned bug:
- 5 subscribers to the bzr project
- 4 subscribers to the bzr package
- 1 subscriber to the python2.6 package
and
- 40 subscribers to all Ubuntu bugs (and 12 deactivated accounts)

Without those subscribers to all Ubuntu bugs, the list would only
contain 9 (distinct) entries, who are (hopefully) more interested about
the bug than those 40 subscribers from Ubuntu.

So to fix this, the subscription to Ubuntu bugs shouldn't cover all
Ubuntu packages but just only those bugs that are filed against Ubuntu
(i.e. without a package). That's a valid reason I can think of to
subscribe to Ubuntu bugs. And in the rare case that someone has a good
reason to get subscribed to all Ubuntu package bugs, that can be done
with the help of a LP admin (from the current list I guess this only
applies to "Ubuntu bugs").

That would kept the "Also notified" portlet useful for packages and not
only projects. And as the list would get shorter, I wouldn't need to get
hidden by default.

Michael