Re: Reverse breadcrumbs in page titles

Hi, Danilo.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Danilo Šegan <danilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> У уто, 15. 09 2009. у 21:25 -0500, Deryck Hodge пише:
>> I realize it's trivial to override, so the question is more about our
>> preference for the site.  Do we really want reverse breadcrumbs on
>> almost every sub page?
>
> I'd say we do, and in very rare cases it doesn't really work well (i.e.
> when you are very deep in the hierarchy).
>
> Still, I think it's an improvement over the inconsistency we had so far
> (and we can improve it later on, but only in a single place).  Perhaps
> we can think about skipping few of the breadcrumbs in the middle for
> page title if there are simply too many?
>
> Or, do you see a problem somewhere else as well?

Somewhat of a problem, yes.  I'll explain better below.

> The problem of "+filebug" appearing in links is a related one, but
> worked on by Salgado, I believe.  You will be able to provide page_title
> to override that bit of the breadcrumb and page title.

Yes, "Report a bug : Bugs in Mozilla Firefox : Mozilla Firefox" is
better, and I understand that fix is in the works.  But "Report a bug
in Mozilla Firefox" is better still. ;) :)

> In general, I think another problem you have is that your bugs vhost
> breadcrumb is too verbose. It should be just "Bugs" imho (i.e. we have
> it as "Translations", see eg.
> https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+lang/sr).
> Breadcrumbs are thus designed to always be used in a sequence, so you
> need not repeat the BugTarget in the vhost breadcrumb.

This is a good suggestion.  We should do this, but still is "Report a
bug : Bugs : Mozilla Firefox" better than "Report a bug in Mozilla
Firefox" for a page title?

The problems with this I see may be specific to bugs in that we have
lots of steps in a breadcrumb that end up with the word "bug" in them,
e.g.

"Do foo to bug #1 : bug #1 : Bugs : Mozilla Firefox."

However, I'll admit my bias for thinking human readable page titles
are always preferable to a constructed one like this.

Note that I talked to Martin and Barry about these issues and have
some resolution to the questions I raised.  I'll reply with that info
in another follow-up mail, so as not to confuse those points with the
questions you raised.

Cheers,
deryck

--