Re: Reverse breadcrumbs in page titles

У уто, 22. 09 2009. у 20:53 +1200, Michael Hudson пише:
> Deryck Hodge wrote:
>
> > Martin, Barry please feel free to clarify if I misrepresented you. :)
>
> I don't really have anything to add, but if "Questions you asked about
> Ubuntu Linux : Questions for Ubuntu Linux : Ubuntu" is a sensible page
> title, I'm an ewok.

I think that's a problem with actual breadcrumbs first:

Ubuntu >> Questions for Ubuntu Linux >> Questions you asked about Ubuntu
Linux

This should probably be just:

Ubuntu >> Questions >> Your questions

That's the kind of breadcrumbs we are using on translations.  One of the
worst cases I see is a page like
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+bugs with its

Launchpad Translations >> Bugs in rosetta >> Bugs in Launchpad
Translations

(not to mention that 'rosetta' should be 'Launchpad Translations' as
well)

If this was instead just

Launchpad Translations >> Bugs >> Listing

it'd be much better.  Basically, breadcrumbs are only crumbs of the
route, so they should not contain the full route.

Why I think this is essential?  Because if we have good and consistent
breadcrumbs, we can see how we can further improve automatic generation
of page_titles by knowing what we have on hand.  With crappy
breadcrumbs, there's no other answer but to say that it won't ever work.

For instance, William raises an interesting point.  Ubuntu and 9.04 are
not good to reverse.  Neither would be "Firefox" and "1.0" or "trunk".
Perhaps others like "Bugs" and "Listing" should be joined into one (to
get something like "Bug listing — Ubuntu 9.04").

If a number of such exceptions ends up being small with good and
consistent breadcrumbs, then I am in favour of continuing to
automatically generate them.  Note that I am not saying that we should
assume reversing is the good algorithm to automaticall generate them.
It was an easy one for that.  I am more interested in the question of
whether we can automatically generate them from breadcrumbs and where
would that fail us.

If not, we should just go back to defining them manually.

Cheers,
Danilo