Re: Proposal: Week-long Community Help Rotation

On 09-10-07 04:35 PM, Aaron Bentley wrote:
Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
Maybe 'PDC' with an infinite sign would have been more consise (not sure it
would have been easier to understand though).

I do like jml's variant in that it starts with observation before
planning...

I like the explicit calling out of the 'See' step, but I also assume that, when doing a proper experiment, seeing is a necessary part of planning.

The idea in Lean is incremental improvement of the system based on current observations. Basically, you are using the scientific method. Experimentation without observation is not effective, and therefore, you have to see to theorize effectively. You can't run a proper Lean PDCA cycle without seeing. (This is in contrast to using PDCA as an excuse to perform the business process re-engineering fad of the moment on your organization, regardless of the need for it.)

Also, when writing a proposal (an A3 report in Lean) charts and graphs of existing conditions are very much encouraged. You need hard numbers draw from observations to create a graph. If you try to put a graph in the A3, it reinforces the need to see first.

Maris