Re: putting launchpad into production

On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 13:55 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Curtis Hovey
> <curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 19:55 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> >> I am looking at setting up a launchpad instance for Sugar Labs[1].
> >> There is a good chance that we will use the canonical hosted services.
> >>  Like any paranoid sysadmin, I want to be able to host our own
> >> instance if necessary.
> >
> > I think that is a violation of the rules. I think there are assets that
> > cannot be used to host a public instance. You need to remove/replace
> > many non-essential parts.
>
> Can you explain this more fully?  Launchpad sales is saying the
> organizations can set up external instances.... But it is easier and
> more cost effective to have Canonical host the instance.

The code is AGPL, the images are not:
https://dev.launchpad.net/LaunchpadLicense

You can run an instance with the non-AGPL parts for development and
testing purposes. Launchpad is designed to allow a community of users
collaborate across projects. It is open source so that the community can
vet or extend the application to meet its needs. Running a single
instance divides the community, so it is not in the interest of
Launchpad engineers to to encourage users setting up their own
Launchpads.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/