Re: [RFC] The right combination of breadcrumb and heading

On Oct 16, 2009, at 8:09 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

                                         A good example are branches.
Should the breadcrumb lead through the project or through the user?

An early mockup of the Launchpad 2.0 branch page didn't have any
hierarchy bar at all, on the grounds that we didn't know which way you'd
come. :-) But eventually we just picked one and stuck to it.

Yes and no <wink> depending on context that Launchpad can't know
anything about.  I'd love to have a ui solution for that.

This question came up in the Nielsen Norman Group usability course I
took a few weeks ago. The suggestion the instructor gave was along the
lines of "choose the most likely". But I think most of the sites that
suggestion was intended for don't have an IA as complex as Launchpad's
needs to be, where "most likely" usually means "pretty unlikely".

One possible solution, though not an easy one, is to keep track of how I actually got there by using some form of click tracking. If I jumped there directly then you would have to pick the "most likely one", but if you tracked me from ~barry to my Launchpad branches, then the breadcrumbs could reflect that instead.

Another alternative might be to have the intermediate crumb be a pull down menu, so when I hover over the projects link I'd see an arrow that would expand to show a menu that also included the person. Or you could just list them both vertical, though that might be confusing.

-Barry