Re: [RFC] More details for merge proposals shown on bugs and branches (long)

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Bjorn Tillenius <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 04:19:38PM +1300, Tim Penhey wrote:
>> So, on this page we'd see:
>>   lp:~mwhudson/twisted/fix-FILEXFER_ATTR_ACMODTIME
>>   Approved for merging into lp:~launchpad-pqm/twisted/trunk
>>     Tim Penhey: Approve
>>     Diff: 12 lines
>>
>> With the same links as on the branch page, including being able to see
>> the diff in a form overlay.
>
> The idea is good in general. I would also like us to think aobut about
> what to show when there isn't a merge proposal yet. Personally I'd like
> to see whether there is progress on the branch. It would be nice to at
> least see when the last commmit to the branch was. This gives you a good
> replacement for the status. You can see whether someone is actively
> working on it, or not. If the branch is merged into mainline, we should
> probably show this as well.

I like all the suggestions here from both Tim and Björn.  Perhaps we
could start with what Tim is JFDI'ing and file bugs for what the bugs
team could add around this?

And certainly, I don't mind at all if Tim goes the whole way with
Björn's suggestions, too. :)

> Having an easy way of seeing the commit messages of the new revisions
> would be nice too, and being able to see a diff even nicer.
>
>> Any comments before I JFDI?
>
> I would check with the Bugs team first, since they are currently
> re-designing the bug page. Your design requires quite a lot more
> vertical space than the current design, so you need to look at what
> effect this change has. I think the information is good to have there,
> but I don't know how to present it, so that it fits into the page.

Just to be clear, we're not doing a bug page re-design since we
couldn't get a new design from Martin in time to land something
earlier this cycle.  We're going to focus on fixing bug page related
oops and any  serious remaining UI bugs during week 4 of this cycle,
keeping in mind Martin's notes on UI he sent to the list.  So we'll
have design considerations in mind, but we're really just doing an
oops and bug fixing focus for a week before we have the new stories to
focus on.

However, Björn's point is still right on, that we need to think
through how to do this new section -- and really that's it, that we're
changing a one line link to a new section on the page.  Like Björn,
I'm not exactly sure how this should fit on the page.  Maybe just
adding the new info where branches are currently linked is the right
thing to do, but there's already a ton of information crammed between
the bugtask table and the comments, IMHO.  Maybe Martin has ideas
about this?

Also, it would be nice if we (bugs team) could make the changes need
to get the link-a-branch AJAX link into this section where it should
go, per Tim and Martin's previous emails on this subject.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge