Re: [RFC] More details for merge proposals shown on bugs and branches (long)

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 04:19:38PM +1300, Tim Penhey wrote:
> Now on the bugs page, we only show a branch now, and this also shows the
> status of the branch (which is next to useless - only next to useless as
> showing merged is actually useful).
>
> e.g. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+bug/376279
>
> Here we see:
>   lp:~mwhudson/twisted/fix-FILEXFER_ATTR_ACMODTIME  (Development)
>
> Now there is an approved merge proposal for this branch (as seen from the
> branch page).
>
>   Approved for merging into lp:~launchpad-pqm/twisted/trunk
>
> I propose that we effectively show what shows on the branch page under the
> branch link, and also remove the status (unless it is merged).
>
> So, on this page we'd see:
>   lp:~mwhudson/twisted/fix-FILEXFER_ATTR_ACMODTIME
>   Approved for merging into lp:~launchpad-pqm/twisted/trunk
>     Tim Penhey: Approve
>     Diff: 12 lines
>
> With the same links as on the branch page, including being able to see
> the diff in a form overlay.

The idea is good in general. I would also like us to think aobut about
what to show when there isn't a merge proposal yet. Personally I'd like
to see whether there is progress on the branch. It would be nice to at
least see when the last commmit to the branch was. This gives you a good
replacement for the status. You can see whether someone is actively
working on it, or not. If the branch is merged into mainline, we should
probably show this as well.

Having an easy way of seeing the commit messages of the new revisions
would be nice too, and being able to see a diff even nicer.

> Any comments before I JFDI?

I would check with the Bugs team first, since they are currently
re-designing the bug page. Your design requires quite a lot more
vertical space than the current design, so you need to look at what
effect this change has. I think the information is good to have there,
but I don't know how to present it, so that it fits into the page.

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt