Re: Sampledata updates in db-devel?

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 10:05 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Guilherme Salgado wrote:

> > I assume these local changes you mention
>
> There were no local changes.  It was a pristine copy of stable.  The

Your sentence above says "[...] clears any local changes I've made".

> sampledata changes had been landed in devel, and I had an earlier
> version of the sampledata in my local db because I don't run make schema
> if I don't have to.
>
> > were done in the launchpad_dev
> > DB, so it'd be a good idea to update the *dev* sampledata ('make
> > newsampledata') and land that on devel.  That way you'll never have to
> > do these changes again, and others would benefit from it as well.
>
> I don't understand how that would follow.

I was trying to point that if you apply these (sampledata) changes to
the dev sampledata (by running 'make newsampledata') and land them on
mainline, you will not have to worry about 'make schema' cleaning your
local changes as they'd all be in the dev sampledata, which is loaded
into launchpad_dev. And others would benefit (when browsing
launchpad.dev) from the sampledata changes you make.

BTW, I'm not suggesting you do that so that we can keep landing
sampledata changes on devel.

> > Maybe we should encourage people to update the dev sampledata whenever
> > they add/change something in the launchpad_dev DB. That's cheap, doesn't
> > cause test failures and is helpful when playing around in
> > https://launchpad.dev
>
> > We don't have anything that would prevent changes to
> > database/sampledata/* to land on devel, and I don't know of a policy
> > that says they should land only on db-devel, so I think it can land on
> > devel.
>
> They can right now, and that's disruptive, so I'm proposing a policy
> that they land on db-devel instead.

Please don't take my comments out of context. Curtis said they can't
land on devel and I was just pointing out that, in practice, they can.

--
Guilherme Salgado <salgado@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>