Re: Regarding Email Notifications.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Bjorn Tillenius <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:21:33AM -0300, Martin Albisetti wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Deryck Hodge
>> <deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I was under the impression that there wasn't consensus about this
>>
>> I'm not saying there is, it was mostly an opinion really. At this
>> point, I'm sure you've talked to more people about this than I have.
>> Sorry for being to absolutist about a hand-wavy thing  :)
>
> Actually, there kind of was consensus about this. At least at one point
> we decided to JFDI, and fix it. We did talk to several people who did
> find the notifications to be of somewhat use, but it was more important
> to stop the e-mail floods. There's even a test for this,
> TestBugChanges.test_marked_as_duplicate, what should make sure that only
> the people subscribed to the bug that is being marked as a duplicate is
> notified. If this isn't working, we need to take a look at that test,
> and find out why it's not working.

"kind of" doesn't inspire confidence in the level of consensus. ;)
But perhaps that's the best one can hope for when describing any level
of consensus. :)

Also, I thought the question was to stop sending duplicate
notifications at all, not just for subscribers to a dupe.  Looking
back at the original bug, I see I was wrong, that it is about dupes
receiving main bug dupe notices.  It makes sense to disable this type
of notification, regardless of any subscription-level configuration we
later add.

I was also not aware that we had already done work to do this.  I'll
make sure either I or someone from the bugs team looks into whether
this works or doesn't this week.

Cheers,
deryck

--