Re: Regarding Email Notifications.

Deryck Hodge wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Bjorn Tillenius <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:21:33AM -0300, Martin Albisetti wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Deryck Hodge
<deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was under the impression that there wasn't consensus about this
I'm not saying there is, it was mostly an opinion really. At this
point, I'm sure you've talked to more people about this than I have.
Sorry for being to absolutist about a hand-wavy thing  :)
Actually, there kind of was consensus about this. At least at one point
we decided to JFDI, and fix it. We did talk to several people who did
find the notifications to be of somewhat use, but it was more important
to stop the e-mail floods. There's even a test for this,
TestBugChanges.test_marked_as_duplicate, what should make sure that only
the people subscribed to the bug that is being marked as a duplicate is
notified. If this isn't working, we need to take a look at that test,
and find out why it's not working.

Thank you all for sorting and reassigning the bug reports as necessary.

The question appears to be: How much power should we allow LP users to have and still retain productivity? As far as the dupe report emails go, I feel that an option to opt out would really be the best choice as, myself for instance, really do not find any use out of them. On the flip side, I have not yet set Thunderbird to filter dupe reports yet nor have I done so for any other Launchpad email. The dupe reports seem like a tool for those that want to use it. I have chosen not to.

As far as the other types of notification changes, I can very well see both sides, so I won't post any other argument other than the fact that I, personally, would like to see an option to skip out on title and description updates as there is usually a comment that accompanies the action. The ones that don't have a comment are just janitorial work.

--
-Brett Cornwall