Re: LCA mini-conf schedule - bridging the gap

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Tim Penhey <tim.penhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I found that the keynote at the start of the day is a conference wide keynote,
> not a different one expected for each mini-conf, so here is my proposed
> schedule:

Thanks. I think the general structure is good but that we really
really need better names & abstracts.

> 9:00 - 10:00 Keynote: Gabriella Coleman (Auditorium)
>
> break
>
> 10:30 - 11:15 Why Launchpad? - jml
>        Overview of Launchpad, what its for and why you'd want to use it.
> 11:15 - 11:45 The plan for bugs - BjornT
>        How the bug tracker helps bridge the gap for ubuntu and upstreams.
>        Bug tasks, remote bug trackers and comment syncing

Title ideas:
- "Every single bug in open source"
- "All the world's bugs"

> 11:45 - 12:15 The plan for translations - jtv
>        How does LP handle translations and what we do now and will do in the
>        future to help translations flow between ubuntu and upstreams

No title ideas here. Remember that many people going to LCA are
monolingual, so it might be worth selling the talk as explaining why
translations matter and how software translation works, right through
from hacking code to spinning an Ubuntu CD.

> Lunch
>
> 13:30 - 14:15 Ubuntu Distributed Development - james_w
>        What is UDD all about, and how is it going to change the world
> 13:15 - 14:45 Soyuz and Build from recipes - al-maisan and mwh?
>        How do packages get built, and what changes are coming, what is a recipe?
> 14:45 - 15:15 Code imports, code reviews and patch forwarding - jelmer and
> abentley
>        How do code imports fit into the big picture.  Merge proposals, and getting
> changes upstream to other VCS types.

Each of these talks look like good ideas, but the titles, descriptions
and (to a certain extent) the content all need to be aimed toward
persuading people that UDD, soyuz & code imports matter.

For soyuz / build from recipes, it's easy -- get your trunk into the
hands of a hojillion Ubuntu users. For code imports, it's less obvious
-- remember that most people at the conference don't actually use
Bazaar.

> break
>
> 15:45 - 16:30 Drizzle - an upstream's view - Monty Taylor
>        How has LP helped the drizzle project be more awesome than ever before
> 16:45 - 17:30 Ask the devs - or hands on hacking
>        Panel discussion if there is interest, devolving into hands on hacking
>

> Now... we probably want sexier talk names.

Someone else's turn now.

jml