Re: LCA mini-conf schedule - bridging the gap

Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> 9:00 - 10:00 Keynote: Gabriella Coleman (Auditorium)

Btw, Biella's awesome -- talk to her if you get a chance (and tell her
hi from me).  She's an anthropologist who studies open source; I've
never seen a talk by her that wasn't fascinating.  Don't skip the keynote.

>> 10:30 - 11:15 Why Launchpad? - jml
>>        Overview of Launchpad, what its for and why you'd want to use it.
>> 11:15 - 11:45 The plan for bugs - BjornT
>>        How the bug tracker helps bridge the gap for ubuntu and upstreams.
>>        Bug tasks, remote bug trackers and comment syncing
>
>Title ideas:
>- "Every single bug in open source"
>- "All the world's bugs"

Great title suggestions, especially the first.

>> 11:45 - 12:15 The plan for translations - jtv
>>        How does LP handle translations and what we do now and will do in the
>>        future to help translations flow between ubuntu and upstreams
>
>No title ideas here. Remember that many people going to LCA are
>monolingual, so it might be worth selling the talk as explaining why
>translations matter and how software translation works, right through
>from hacking code to spinning an Ubuntu CD.

I just spend five minutes trying to come up with a catchy title and
totally failing.  But something conveying that idea of allowing
translators to be translators instead of programmers might be good --
that's a key thing about Launchpad translations.  Launchpad's sending
the translations upstream is what makes it possible for someone to
contribute translations without being familiar with upstream's build
process, etc.

>> 13:30 - 14:15 Ubuntu Distributed Development - james_w
>>        What is UDD all about, and how is it going to change the world

  "Ubuntu Distributed Development: Package Like It's 1999!"

...no wait, maybe that's not quite right :-).  How about:

  "Ubuntu Distributed Development: Connecting Packagers, Patchers, and
  Upstreams."

Not so catchy, I dunno; it does convey the general idea at least.

(I think a good title meets one of these criteria: either it directly
conveys what the talk is about to someone who doesn't already know, or
it's enigmatic enough to tantalize them into reading the detailed
description.)

>> 13:15 - 14:45 Soyuz and Build from recipes - al-maisan and mwh?
>>        How do packages get built, and what changes are coming, what is a recipe?

  "Soyuz and Build: Making Binary Packages a Solved Problem"

(or, if you can be more specific about the changes that are coming, then
we could try to come up with a title that communicates that.  For
example, if it's about making it easier to produce alpha/beta packages
for testing, and UI to communicate that to users, then that might be
worth conveying in the title.)

>> 14:45 - 15:15 Code imports, code reviews and patch forwarding - jelmer and
>> abentley

This one has the potential to be really exciting.  At the end of the
Grand Vision: every upstream's code is available (and up-to-date) in
Launchpad; anyone can branch it; anyone can post a branch with a change;
anyone can get that new branch in patch form; any patch out there on the
Net can be automatically represented as a branch against that project's
VCS import; you can build a package from any branch, to enable users to
test the patch that that branch represents... This is huge stuff.  We
may not be implementing that all at once, but I think it's important
that the audience understand the big picture as well as what's coming in
the immediate future.

How to convey all that in a title?

  "Code Imports and Patch Forwarding: Increasing Upstreams' Surface Area"

?

(Tim, I saw your updated page with new talk names after writing the
above, but I'll post the suggestions anyway in case you want to
incorporate any ideas from them.)

>> 15:45 - 16:30 Drizzle - an upstream's view - Monty Taylor
>>        How has LP helped the drizzle project be more awesome than ever before
>> 16:45 - 17:30 Ask the devs - or hands on hacking
>>        Panel discussion if there is interest, devolving into hands on hacking
>>
>> Now... we probably want sexier talk names.

I dunno; these really do convey what the talk is about, and someone
looking for an upstream's take on Launchpad (as opposed to a Launchpad
dev's take on Launchpad) will see that the Drizzle talk is exactly that.

-K