Re: Bug heat UI

Hi, Rob.

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 22:46 -0600, Deryck Hodge wrote:
>> We could have differing
>> shades of red/orange for levels of heat and/or have slightly larger
>> flames for hotter levels.
>
> Colourblindness alert! Some users won't be able to see the difference
> between reds and oranges, or will be able to tell but won't know which
> is which, and eve if they can tell, which colour is hottest? I like
> using size, but that will fail for blind folk (like Luke) unless a good
> alt tag is set.

Ah, very good points.  I'm sorry I hadn't thought of those.

>> I remember discussions about this at UDS with you, and I was never
>> fully convinced.  After thinking some more about it, it just seems
>> like a bad idea.  I know you're concerned about a bug that a team may
>> want to put off working on indefinitely and yet it's still in the list
>> annoying them, but I think we need to get the algorithm right so this
>> doesn't happen or the project should use Won't Fix or Invalid to be
>> honest about intent.
>
> FWIW I agree: a list of 'most interesting bugs from a users perspective'
> isn't useful if its not that ;) Perhaps though Martin is thinking about
> how developers farm their work lists based on such a list. What might be
> nice is inline editing of importance, so bugs that are in the list and
> too low a priority can be bumped up - then the normal selection of 'what
> to work next' will show said bug.

I like this suggestion, too.  Inline editing of both importance and
status would help here.

>> Yeah, this gets tricky.  The only thought I have now is to steal away
>> the flame icon, place it somewhere away from the affected users count,
>> and have the icon be different color and larger depending on the heat
>> of the bug.  But what goes in this place if there is no heat value?
>> And maybe this is a terrible idea.  I'll note that it's late for me if
>> it is. ;)
>
> If heat is a computed number, show the number [and allow us to see what
> when into the computation]. Numbers are simple things, they let us
> understand whats going on as a user of Malone. Unlike karma individual
> reputation isn't going to rest on this number so we don't have to be as
> opaque as we were there.

Like Martin said, big +1 on this from me, too.  I think something
visual is also nice for a quick glance indicator, but the number is
the ultimate determination of how hot something is.

Perhaps we can come up with some icon that conveys heat visually while
also incorporating the number, and then a mouse over would list the
components.

Cheers,
deryck

--