Re: RFC: UI for +filebug while waiting-for-blob-to-be-processed

On 17 February 2010 01:52, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16 February 2010 21:06, Graham Binns <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I want the UI to be fairly simple - just a message and a spinner. I've
>> attached a screenshot of what I'm thinking of. Suggestions and
>> comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks for circulating it.

Thanks for replying.

>>> Please wait.  Launchpad is processing the extra bug data you uploaded.  This page will refresh every 10 seconds until processing is complete.
>
> * To me 'refresh' means reload completely; that seems redundant with
> having a spinner, and a bit unnecessary?

Well, I bunged it on the page as a way of saying "something's
happening" but you're right; in this iteration, where we're doing
complete reloads, it's probably unnecessary.

> * It's not really 'you' because the upload is coming from apport and
> the user is just cooperating with it.

Hmm, good point.

> * Are we processing it or just loading it?

We're parsing it to extract the salient data.

> So I would suggest
>
>>> Please wait while bug data is sent. <spin spin>

I think "processed" or "loaded" is better, though I'm ambivalent about
which is better.

> The fact that the page will eventually reload should be obvious.
>
> Ideally you would show how much data is to be sent (4MB or whatever)
> but that may be hard.

Good idea. That shouldn't be hard; we can get filesize data from the librarian.

And it's not the 4MB uploads that cause the problem. It's the 90+MB ones...

--
Graham Binns | PGP Key: EC66FA7D