Re: adding PIL 1.1.7 to launchpad-developer-dependencies

Edwin Grubbs wrote:
> I finally got around to doing this, and I ran into a subtle issue.
> launchpad-dependencies depends on python2.5-imaging, and the
> python-imaging package provides python2.5-imaging. However, when I add
> (>= 1.1.7) to launchpad-dependencies' debian/control file, it
> complains that it python2.5-imaging is not installed.
>
> Should python-imaging's Provides list be changed somehow, or should I
> just change launchpad-dependecies to depend on python-imaging instead
> of python2.5-imaging?

Ah, right, I see what's going on. dpkg only supports versioned
dependencies on real packages, not virtual packages declared with
Provides. So, what we will need is:

Depends: ..., python-imaging (>= 1.1.7), python2.5-imaging, ...

thus enforcing the version against the real package, whilst also
enforcing that it provide for the specific python version we care about.

Max.