Re: [RFC-UI] Team page redesign

On 11 March 2010 07:15, Curtis Hovey <curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think we also need to consider why I am adding karma. It is a crowd
> sourcing mechanism. Since the registry does not have karma, we do not
> attract many users who want recognition for linking a package to an
> upstream project, or upload a release. I am adding karma. If this does
> not work for the time line, we need someone to commit to doing this
> after work.

I am a bit concerned by this pattern of logic, because it means the
reward for registering stuff is a number going up.  The best and
smartest contributors are not motivated by making a number go up on a
web page, but rather by (well, it's complicated but) achieving a
larger goal that they care about, or doing something in relation to
their community.  Showing a meaningful timeline so that I can be
impressed by all the cool stuff Parth is doing recently gets us closer
to the second.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>