Re: Remove spidermonkey-bin from launchpad-developer-dependencies?

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 22:15:34 Max Bowsher wrote:
> Francis J. Lacoste wrote:

> >> Lazr-js uses it for jslint. It uses it indirectly, though. It uses
> >> /usr/bin/js, which points to /etc/alternatives/js, which points to
> >> /usr/bin/smjs.
> >
> > Yep, jslint supports the rhino JS interpreter, but it's like 10x slower.
>
> I've filed
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xulrunner-1.9.2/+bug/536950,
> lets see what the Ubuntu mozilla team do.
>
> Unfortunately, the Mozilla build system is sufficiently baffling that I
> don't think re-introducing it in the PPA is a workable interim solution.

I spoke to Alexander Sack.

He said that "there is no stable javascript product on the market"

and

"upstream js doesnt release any javascript shell anymore (as they dont do any
releases at all anymore)"

So it looks like we need to revert to using the slow rhino.