Re: New launchpad-dependencies for 10.04 LTS (Lucid)?

Max Bowsher <maxb@xxxxxxx> writes:
>Those instructions are starting to look rather overcomplicated.
>
>1) launchpad-developer-dependencies depends on launchpad-dependencies so
>there's no purpose to mentioning the latter explicitly
>
>2) Rather than enumerating individual packages that are contained in the
>PPA for manual upgrade:
>
> * the advice should be to upgrade anything upgradable after you've
>added the PPA and updated your package lists

As long as concrete steps are given, +1.

> * the dependencies packages should ideally use suitable version clauses
>to force installation of the PPA versions, where lucid contains an
>inadequate version

Sure, the above sounds great.  What I'd like to avoid, though, is a
situation where being a Launchpad developer implies being an Ubuntu
expert too -- package management is not actually a skill that most
people want to have.  To the degree that we can make the packages DTRT,
we should.  To the degree that we can't, we should spell out the steps
developers need to take.  (And if that means listing steps that are
harmless for some and necessary for others, that's okay.)

I wasn't sure which of the steps on that page could be safely removed,
but if you are ... go for it!

-K