Re: Code Import Reviews

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 14:03 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> I'd like to discuss reviews of new code imports.
>
> Currently SVN and CVS code imports require review before working. What
> are the reasons for this?
I'm not sure about the reasons for requiring review for the CVS imports,
but at least for the Subversion servers it's to prevent people from
accidentally registering an import of the repository root, causing a lot
of disk usage and processing time on Launchpad's side. Copies are cheap
in Subversion (E.g. creating a new tag) but, unless they're branch
copies, they're expensive in Bazaar.

The heuristics code in bzr-svn could be used to automatically approve
Subversion branches that appear legitimate (I've only seen a few
situations where it didn't gets the repository layout right).

> I've been working on exposing code imports over the API, including
> creation, and should have this done this release. That provides the
> functionality I need to start importing Debian branches using a script.
W00t, looking forward to seeing this happen. :-)

Cheers,

Jelmer