Re: Source Package Recipes Disabled on Edge / What's Needed to Get Them Going Again

On 06/09/2010 06:18 AM, Julian Edwards wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2010 15:50:24 Aaron Bentley wrote:
>> The UI was left live while we waited for the LOSAs to process their
>> RT's.  See my email "Source package recipe build deployment status"
>> dated 05/20/2010.
>>
>> Eventually, as the release approached, we disabled it so that it would
>> not appear in the production UI when the release was rolled out ("Re:
>> Source package recipe build deployment status" 05/31/2010)  We restored
>> it on edge as soon as was possible.
>
> There are some recipe builds hitting the builders again this morning, causing
> them to fall over once more.  I'm not sure how this has happened since you
> disabled the feature and removed all the old buildqueue records.  Is the API
> enabled still?

I disabled the links to the UI, but it would still be possible to use
the UI via URL hacking.  The API is also still active.  The config
option was intended to protect users from a broken feature, not to
protect us from our users.

>> My perspective is that it has been live for weeks, with a few
>> interruptions.
>
> The code may have been landed but it's not actually been enabled and live for
> very long each time has it?

Yes, it has.  It was live and enabled from at least May 20 to May 31.
Please see my emails from that period.  But during that period, build
attempts would  fail due to the closed ports or incompatibility between
bzr-builder and buildds.

> Both times it was disabled quite quickly after
> problems were found.

I believe this is factually incorrect.  See my May 20 and May 31 emails.

> One of the main reasons I am quite stressed about this is because people who
> use the build farm generally come to me first if there's a problem, and that's
> quite a lot of people.  I'd like to eliminate that source of stress. :)

As would I.  We can make the config option disable build requests at the
model level.  That should shut out build requests from the UI and API.

>> What happened?  Paul's changes to remove sourcepackagename were deployed
>> as part of the release, but had no immediate impact because the UI was
>> disabled.  Then I restored the UI, which was deployed through an edge
>> update, though I had an RC from Curtis.
>
> How were Paul's changes QA tested?

Paul ran the full test suite.  He didn't anticipate that his change
would require testing on dogfood.  Since staging doesn't have builders,
he didn't have a convenient way to QA.

Aaron