Re: RFC: One True Way of addressing notification emails.

On 11 June 2010 16:29, Francis J. Lacoste <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Graham for this explanation.
>
> So given this, IMHO, I'd like to preserve the current genre of thinking of
> conversation (answers, code, bugs) as mailing list and such have comments be
> sent using the current form of From: Me <my.preferred.email@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Now, status changing and other such notifications are probably not
> conversation but should be thought as a status notification and as such should
> probably use a robot address (so bug@xxxxxxxxxxx is probably appropriate).
>
> Now, what about the case where we batch changes together, we should probably
> inspire ourselves from mailing digest then. And that's probably a robot adress
> again.

I think this mix of rules becomes difficult when someone changes the
status and adds a comment at the same time. Personally, I'd like to
see both of those in the same email, as now, but I don't really care
if the From: line is the user's address or a $bugid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
address. In fact, if the From: line is $bugid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx then
we have more scope to batch notifications together because we don't
have to group by user.