Re: RFC: One True Way of addressing notification emails.

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 16:25 +0100, Graham Binns wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently getting stuck into the better bugnotifications story[1]
> and I think we need to settle how notifications from Launchpad should
> be addressed. I'm working on three bugs, specifically:
>
>  * launchpad leaks private email addresses when sending mail [2]
>  * Malone comments are sent in email and forge the address of the
> person who filed them [3]
>  * Bug notifications have personal To: header but aren't personal [4]
>
> I had planned to fix the first two of these bugs in one branch by
> simply having all bug notifications have From address of
> $bugno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, as can be seen in [5]. However, after a bit
> of investigation, Deryck pointed out that merge proposal notifications
> have a From address of the Person who triggered the notification with
> the Reply-to being set to the MP itself.
>
> So, question #1: What should the From: address be for bug
> notifications? There are two possible options, as I see it:
>
>  1. Always use $bugno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  2. Use the Person's preferred email address where possible (i.e
> assuming they have one and that they haven't marked their email
> addresses as private), otherwise use $bugno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Answers does this:
    >>> add_notification['From']
    'Sample Person <question...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>'
    >>> add_notification['Reply-To']
    'question...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

The intent was to make it clear that the message was initiated by a
user, but the context is the question. The user's email address is not
in the address. We chose this style as a compromise between several bug
reports about the identity of the sender in the message. In retrospect,
I think this implementation is incomplete. I would expect to see the URL
to the sending user in the email footer so it is clear who "Sample
Person" is ... '~name12'.

Switching to the one-true-mailer would be nice, though I do not plan to
hack on answers in the immediate future.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/