Re: memcache, responsiveness and load {short story, lets turn memcache off}

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 11:10:35AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> It would be useful to establish that memcached does in fact give us
> "effective slashdot protection".  If we used a web load generator to
> send (oh I don't know, what's typical?) 10 requests/second to a
> particular bug page, what happens?  It seems like it ought to help,
> but it would be nice to test it on edge.  On the other hand a lot of
> random casual visitor traffic may be anonymous, and might be served
> from squid anyhow?

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. I've always wondered whether
the caching on the milestone list actually helps, and how it helps.
Considering it's cache:private, it means that each user has its own
cache, right? So it doesn't help when multiple people look at the page
the first time. It only helps when the same person reloads the page
multiple times. Now, which use cases exist for that, except for checking
if something changed, usually after having modified bugs himself, or
someone on IRC told him that they changed bugs? For the use case when
the user knows something has changed, he will try to reload until he
actually sees the changes, and is a really bad user experience.

It might be a good idea to do a UI review for memcache uses, to see how
those will affect users' existing workflows, and some justification for
whether it's worth the tradeoff, or not.

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt