Re: memcache, responsiveness and load {short story, lets turn memcache off}

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 10:07 +0300, Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> I'd be interested in knowing this as well. I've always wondered
> whether
> the caching on the milestone list actually helps, and how it helps.
> Considering it's cache:private, it means that each user has its own
> cache, right? So it doesn't help when multiple people look at the page
> the first time. It only helps when the same person reloads the page
> multiple times. Now, which use cases exist for that, except for
> checking
> if something changed, usually after having modified bugs himself, or
> someone on IRC told him that they changed bugs? For the use case when
> the user knows something has changed, he will try to reload until he
> actually sees the changes, and is a really bad user experience.

This is a well thought argument. I think anonymous users are the only
ones who benefit from the cache. The page spends most of its time in
python formatting objects and anonymous users/bots do benefit from a
fast loading page.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/