Re: Experiment proposal: Optional Reviews

Am 22.10.2010 02:09, schrieb Martin Pool:
> On 22 October 2010 10:36, Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I agree.  I think it's probably a good idea for reviews to have a “cover
>> letter” of sorts too.
>
> Yes, that's crucial.  Jumping straight from the bug that's being fixed
> to the diff requires the reviewer to infer a lot of intent and it
> means they can only comment on the intent by reading the whole diff.

Erm, I think he meant that the *review* should have a cover letter, i.e. a
paragraph of general praise or disgust. ;)

> Generally speaking Launchpad reviews do seem to have good cover
> letters but perhaps they should be more detailed, or people should
> respond more to the letter not the diff?

I think we mostly have good cover letters (we even have a template and a
bazaar plugin to go with it) although I have seen some pretty terse ones ...
Detailed cover letters to proposals that explain some of the background help
me a lot when I do a review outside of my domain.

Henning