Re: Managing disclosure mockups for testing

Hi Curtis,

On 5 November 2010 14:48, Curtis Hovey <curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like your assistance organising a new round of UI testing with
> Lp stakeholders. for Managing Disclosure -- allow project owners to
> control who has access to private data and see what data is disclosed.

Thanks for asking me to look at this.

>     1. The word "access" was leading stakeholders to think about ACLs,
>        which is orthogonal to this feature. We are not creating a
>        system to grant read and write access, but stakeholders assumed
>        from the language in the mockups that we are.

My understanding is that we don't want to mislead people into thinking
that we're doing away with the existing team-based write permissions.
We want people to understand that this is about read access only. Is
that right?

>     2. The description of what a user can see vs. project roles was
>        confusing. I have invented two terms that I hope summarise how
>        bugs and branch subscriptions work, and how we will allow
>        projects give trusted persons power to see all private
>        artefacts.

I think these terms (presumably "observer" and "restricted observer"),
along with "disclosure" are where we'll have most scope of confusion,
initially.

>     3. The search/listing page now has two views to address the two
>        scenarios that stakeholders want to do. The first is to see what
>        is disclosed and change/add permission. The second is to
>        investigate who has access and how.
>     4. My interviews reveal that the person picker is untrusted. When
>        working with teams and users with hidden email addresses, the
>        picker does not provide enough information to make a decision. I
>        have added a mockup that illustrates the problem. I added the
>        person launchpad id to the picker, but I expect that we need to
>        provide more information to give stakeholders confidence in the
>        picker.

I'll ask what sort of information would make it easier to choose the
right person. Do you have any thoughts on that already?

I'll prepare a plan for this testing and get back to you.

Thanks again.

--
Matthew Revell -- https://launchpad.net/~matthew.revell
Launchpad.net -- cross-project collaboration and hosting