Re: Managing disclosure mockups for testing

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 11:32 +0000, Matthew Revell wrote:
> >     2. The description of what a user can see vs. project roles was
> >        confusing. I have invented two terms that I hope summarise
> how
> >        bugs and branch subscriptions work, and how we will allow
> >        projects give trusted persons power to see all private
> >        artefacts.
>
> I think these terms (presumably "observer" and "restricted observer"),
> along with "disclosure" are where we'll have most scope of confusion,
> initially.

"observer" and "restricted observer" are only used in this 4th version.
I invented the terms last week. Disclosure was said by me in
conversations, but it was not used in the UI. Versions 1-3 use terms
like access and view, then I added in read and write in versions 2 and 3
because users assumed the first two terms implied change.

I used the terms owner, driver and bug supervisor in versions 1-3
assuming/hoping that the testers would understand those roles had change
power. That was not the case. adding terms like read and write
reinforced an expectation of Unix ACL controls on all objects instead of
clarifying that project owners could permit someone to see some or all
of a project. We are not creating an ACL system. The only non-UI change
the feature proposes is that we add an alternate mechanism to
subscription to give someone access to all private data.

I introduce the new terms "observer" and "restricted observer" make it
easier to talk about what a user can do in a project. They are easier to
understand in a conversation about owners and bug supervisors.

Keep this in mind. Any user who can see a private bug can comment on it.
That is true today, and there is not discussion of changing this rule.
So we are not really talking about "read and write", and an "observer"
can converse.

We will know this feature woks when the canonical team is an observer of
all Canonical-owned projects. All the employees can view the private
bugs and branches without hunting someone down to create a subscription.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/