Re: Landing lazr-js upgrade blocked by Windmill, A Proposal

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Bjorn Tillenius <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 01:00:30PM -0600, Deryck Hodge wrote:
>> Yes, I did consider fixing Windmill.  There's an assumption there that
>> I *can* fix Windmill.  Okay, so I'll give myself the benefit of the
>> doubt.  Let's say I can. :-)  Then there's the assumption that fixing
>> the 512k bug will unblock this landing.  We don't know what other
>> problems might be lying around with so much JavaScript.  We know the
>> 512k bug is the current problem.  I could spend a couple days getting
>> that fixed and still not be able to land this branch.
>

> You could at least spend 5-10 minutes trying. The original bug about
> this is this one:
>
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/519744

Thanks for the pointer, Bjorn.  I'm on holiday the rest of this week,
but when I return, I'll look into this.  No one knew about this bug or
pointed me at it until now.  And I worked on this so long, I guess I
missed the obvious to grep for 512 in the source.

Also, I think your "you could at least spend 5-10 minutes" is a bit
unfair.  I spent greater than 3 weeks on this branch, trying to get
the new lazr-js and Windmill to place nice together.  Yes, now that I
have new information, a simple fix does seem possible.  But even then,
come on, it's not 5-10 minutes.  It's more like 8 hours, by the time
you edit code, make a new windmill tarball, run a layer or two
locally, and then run it through ec2 to see if it works.  I don't mind
doing this.  Having the tests working is definitely worth that time.
But still, if I devote that 8 hours to trying this fix and the tests
still don't pass when run collectively, I'm ready to move us off
Windmill.  Unless someone else wants to help step up and maintain
these tests.

Cheers,
deryck

--