Re: Malone Alpha Team for Subscriptions Testing

Hi, Julian.  Thanks for the feedback!

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Julian Edwards
<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 January 2011 19:45:07 Deryck Hodge wrote:
>> We won't pester you about your thoughts on the feature, but if you use
>> it and spot issues, you could ping one of us bugs devs and it would
>> help us polish things up a bit.  Any other feedback on the work is, of
>> course, also welcome.  Thanks!
>
> This is a nice start to reducing the email load!
>
> I saw these three options on the subscription page for Launchpad bugs:
>
>  * A change is made or a new comment is added to a bug in Launchpad itself.
>  * Any change is made to a bug in Launchpad itself, other than a new comment
> being added.
>  * A bug in Launchpad itself is fixed or re-opened.
>
> but none of them really cover what I need - I'd like to see a couple more
>
>  * receive only "new" bugs
>  * receive only new comments on bugs (not other changes)
>
> The vast majority of bugmail that I really don't care about is status changes,
> priority changes and branch linkage.  With the latter option, I solve that.
> With the first option I can subscribe to individual bugs to get more info if I
> want it on a case-by-case basis.
>
> Hope that's useful feedback!

Indeed this is very useful.  The last option's label is not very good.
 "A bug in Launchpad itself is fixed or re-opened" would get you bug
lifecycle, so New bugs and when they're closed or re-opened.  I would
guess that would be okay for you, but maybe not. :-)  Well, for at
least half of what you want.  :-) I'm kidding mostly, but we will at
least fix the label, which became obvious with your feedback.

I opened bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/702413 about
this and added it to our board.

We're continuing to talk about the other aspect of this, so I'll let
you know if we work out a clean way to do this with either
notification levels or the new filter work Gavin is finishing up.  We
have some ideas, but I suspect this will fall on the next squad who
handles this to determine if it's in scope, considered polish, or not
worth doing.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cheers,
deryck