Re: refreshed bug triage rules active

On January 12, 2011, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> The average engineer closes 5 bugs a month. 8 engineers on maintenance
> will close about 40 critical bugs. We have just under 10 months of
> critical bugs assuming no other critical bugs are add.

Your average is a little bit conservative. Since April, we are _fixing_ about
194 bugs a month, that's 7 per engineer. If we look at the number of bugs
_closed_ (average 273 per month), it goes up to 10.

We have 59 time outs currently. This means that with the maintenance squads we
can probably burn down the time out categories in a little more than a month!
Then we have 165 oops. I contend that we don't need to fix most of these.
There a lot of those that are probably not relevant anymore. Using the closing
rate, we can burn down those in probably two more months. (And that's assuming
a conservative ratio of 3 invalid for 7 fixes required. I'm sure that ratio is
higher for OOPSes)

This mean that we can reasonably expect to empty the Critical list before the
end of the fiscal year.

And then we'd have an empty Critical bucket like most of you want it and we
can treat OOPS and Time outs for what they are: 'Critical' issues.

That in itself to me is a good reason to keep the new set of priorities. I say
we can live with using the 'incident reports' as the short list for three
months. If in 3 months, the set of Critical bug is still too big, we should
reassess.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx