Re: PythonStyleGuide reduced

On 01/24/2011 05:27 PM, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 25 January 2011 09:57, Henning Eggers <henning.eggers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Am 24.01.2011 08:26, schrieb Aaron Bentley:
>>> I think we should keep "Importing a module should not have side
>>> effects".  One of the libraries used by launchpadlib for storing
>>> passwords does this, as does lp.codehosting, so we can't assume people
>>> will avoid it.
>> We removed stuff that we felt is general software engineering knowledge that
>> everyone working here should know.
> +1, in fact I think you should also omit things that are general
> Python knowledge.  (Things that are "general Zope knowledge" etc
> perhaps should be included or at least pointed to, since not everybody
> will know them.)

I would be -1 on pointing to other documentation.  Wikis generally have
this idea where you're continually clicking through to find more
information, which tends to lead to people giving up after a few
click-throughs.  If it's important outside the realm of general PEP-8
type stuff, I think it should be on the page, especially the Zope
caveats to PEP-8 (you know, because Zope existed before PEP-8).

Cheers,
Paul