Re: CodeBrowse: The Path Forward

On 1/27/2011 5:51 PM, Max Kanat-Alexander wrote:
> On 01/27/2011 03:34 PM, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> inventory.pt on pqm has a link to /view
>> inventory.pt on trunk only has a link to /raw
>
> 	Oh, you mean for the paper icon? Yes, that is a change made on trunk.
> That icon should be commented-out for launchpad, but should still work
> like it does on trunk.
>
>> Any given conflict was resolved in favor of /trunk as far as made sense.
>> There weren't many.
>
> 	There shouldn't have been any "as far as made sense"--everything should
> have been resolved toward trunk without exception. trunk is a later
> edition of pqm, there should be no pqm-specific changes other than
> backports from trunk.

I'm not sure if I've upset you here, but you can see what I actually
changed with:

  bzr diff --old ../trunk --new ../merge_trunk

I can attach it if you want, but it mostly amounts to:

a) Lots of Copyright updates. I have this scripted in a plugin, so
   stuff that gets updated on disk gets an updated Copyright
   statement.
b) 'newline at end of file'
c) whitespace cleanups
d) global.css color scheme. I don't know if this is specific to
Launchpad's color scheme or what. But they differed, and apparently the
pqm global.css is newer than the one on trunk. I'm guessing it is a
Launchpad-specific-configuration stuff.
e) similarly some of the images are tweaked between the two.

f) inventory.pt  Obviously still needs to be resolved a bit. Not 100%
sure what needs to be done there, but we can sort that out.

g) macros.pt, removes the search box. This I also don't understand, but
if Launchpad doesn't want the search box...

h) menu.pt, this looks like it adds a link to the launchpad help pages.
Which certainly doesn't make sense to have in trunk loggerhead.

i) test changes, which was necessary to get the test suite to pass for me.

> 	If you then wanted to customize pqm to remove /raw, that should
> probably be done in a separate commit after the initial merge. (Just
> comment it out the controller map and comment-out those template lines.)
>
> 	-Max

I think the pqm branch has some site-specific customization changes for
Launchpad. As such, it doesn't make sense to try and merge it into
trunk, and it doesn't make sense to try and replace it 100% with trunk.

John
=:->