Re: QA-ing on qastaging

On February 17, 2011, Tom Haddon wrote:
> Would the process be any smoother (if not immediately quicker) if you
> could queue up QA requests, and then walk away and focus on something
> else, rather than needing the back and forth of IRC interaction with
> LOSAs? I'm wondering if it would be better to create RTs for this so
> that you don't have to sit on IRC waiting for a response. I realise it
> wouldn't be any quicker, but it should allow you to focus on other stuff
> and get notified when we actually get around to it. For this to work
> well it would depend on:

Like I discussed with you on the IS call, I'd rather we find way to make it
easier to have interactive sessions with LOSA, than to queue up work via RT
and introduce more context swithches

There are a lot of advantages to having LOSA and dev have more synchronous
interaction around QA:

* often things will go wrong, adding the delayed feedback loop of RT just
increase delays and add more context switches

* it's also good for knowledge transfer as you gain more understanding of how
the service operates

A way to improve this aspect was to have a visible LOSA assigned to
interruptible requests to the team and make it visible. A little like we did
for our on-call reviewer process.

Let us know once you sort out the details with your team.

Cheers

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx