Subject: Re: [Merge] lp:~jameinel/loggerhead/less_work_for_head_716217
 into	lp:loggerhead
From: launchpad-bugs-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 03:55:10 +0000
Sender: launchpad-bugs-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--===============7864264032856119061==

Your message was rejected

--===============7864264032856119061==

To: John A Meinel <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Merge] lp:~jameinel/loggerhead/less_work_for_head_716217 into
	lp:loggerhead
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 03:55:08 -0000
Sender: bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 3 March 2011 23:04, John A Meinel <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Should we kick this back? I'd like to leave it, pending evaluation of whe=
ther the HEAD requests are significant overhead. history-db also reduces th=
e base overhead.

If by kick it/leave it you mean just do nothing with it until we see
that cutting the cost of HEAD requests are really worthwhile, that's
ok with me.  We can just mark it rejected and leave it attached to the
bug.

Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase; I didn't think enough
about the fact that getting a realistic result might mean taking it
most of the way through rendering.  I don't think cutting the cost of
initial GET is a good tradeoff to speed up later HEAD requests.

I do think it's worthwhile/important that HEAD not actually send a
body back, because that clearly is violating the rfc in a fairly
fundamental way.  Just generating and discarding it is ok with me.

It seems like eventually to be able to stream the body we would need
to be able to tell before rendering whether the request is ultimately
likely to succeed or not.

-- =

https://code.launchpad.net/~jameinel/loggerhead/less_work_for_head_716217/+=
merge/49182
Your team Loggerhead-team is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~=
jameinel/loggerhead/less_work_for_head_716217 into lp:loggerhead.

--===============7864264032856119061==--