Re: Packaging permissions redux

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 15:38 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > This is no more worrisome than users linking to the wrong package.
>
> I don't understand.  It seems to me that random users creating bad
> packaging links is a known problem, but project maintainers sabotaging
> their own projects is an extremely unlikely theoretical problem.  Why
> are they equally worrisome?

I never said there were random users involved. the project maintainer is
doing this. He is probably thinking:
1. I have a great idea for a project.
2. I will register wacky-indicator in Lp
3. Oh, Lp thinks this is window-indictor
4. YES it is, please package my project right away
5. Oh I do not know how to program.
6. /me wanders off to watch Bay Watch.

60% of every project registered in Lp will fail in 6 months.

> > Most
> > projects that have wrong links to not have translations and they do
> not
> > have branches.
>
> Okay, but we are trying to set it up so that when people want
> translation sharing, they create these links, set up the branches if
> needed, and set them to import translations if needed.

That is a lot of criteria for someone to shoot themselves in the foot.
Lots of project say they use Lp translations, very few actually have a
gettext-enabled and ever fewer actually upload template or setup
syncing.

I understand this effort want to increased this, but it will not have
more than a marginal effect given the gap between the Lp projects
implementation and user conception of repo/archive/hosting, and the gap
between the Ubuntu community and the Lp hosted community.

> > These links are created by users who do not know Lp very
> > well. Many users are trying to create PPA in fact.
>
> So there would be little overlap with the set of users who have upload
> rights on Ubuntu packages.

Yep.

> > So I do not see a problem here.
>
> So you're saying because most projects won't have translations, we
> can't
> lose information about their translations?

Bingo!

I still ponder the removal of the suggestion portlet from the project
page. I think it fullfilled its function in the first 3 months of its
life. Since all the registered projects are linked. New links are
created from the distro/bug tracking workflows now.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/