Re: performance tuesday - the rabbit has landed

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Jamu Kakar <jkakar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Gavin Panella
> <gavin.panella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 11 May 2011 13:20, Julian Edwards <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I filed a bug on testtools some time ago about having persistent fixtures so
>>> when we have that hopefully we can get rid of layers and use fixtures.
>>
>> I think https://launchpad.net/testresources covers this sort of
>> ground. Unsurprisingly, lifeless is the maintainer, and the top
>> contributor also works for Canonical.
>
> The testresource package is used in Cloud Deck and it works very well.
> Storm has a builtin ZStormResourceManager that can be used to wire up
> tests that need the database.  Something I miss (and maybe I just
> don't where they are) is a set of obvious stock resources.  I've
> written some (for managing temporary directories and files and for
> mocking stdout):
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~jkakar/commandant/trunk/view/head:/commandant/testing/resources.py

Cool. In my copious spare time I'm trying to get lp:python-fixtures
and lp:testresources to play nice: fixtures are a much easier
programming model, I think - so I have temp directories, environment
variable exports and so on in there. I want to migrate testresources
to being a fixture manager, but haven't yet solved the impedence
mismatch. Jml and  have talked and its probably easy, but Not yet
done.

Also I got sent mail out of the blue the other day about
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/van.pg - a testresource for postgresql
clusters. It is missing some of our shiny db sequence rollbacks etc,
but also does stuff we don't - it creates the cluster on the fly.

-Rob