Re: Launchpad persona in Launchpad

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 22:03 +1200, Robert Collins wrote:
> I may be confused here. You are asking a general question but haven't
> described a specific problem. I find it very hard to answer general
> questions with anything other than conservative answers.
>
> Perhaps you can enumerate (some) of the things you want to do? The
> ones you've hinted at (commenting on bugs) sound like misdesigned
> features to me, and my knee-jerk reaction is to want to debug them to
> see how we can do better.

I wanted this feature a while ago. For gEDA, I created a new launchpad
user which is actually a robot I (well, the gEDA server admins) control.

See:
https://launchpad.net/~gpleda-launchpad-robot

I had to create a completely new email address to set up that account,
which was actually quite inconvenient. In reality, any problems with its
actions need to be addressed to myself or one of the gEDA admins, and it
would be nice to formalise that.

The robot makes comments on bugs, such as this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pcb/+bug/785463
https://bugs.launchpad.net/pcb/+bug/785463/comments/3

And links to the relevant git commit in our gitweb instance.
http://git.gpleda.org/?p=pcb.git;a=commit;h=1bdbe76f428d1c536ce460c34290e639f7a95746

(Which also links back to the Launchpad bug from the commit message ;))

Aside from an easier way to setup a robot persona, the only thing which
could be better here would be an explicit way of introducing hyperlinks
in bug messages.

Ideally, a SHA1 should be enough - given some setting elsewhere which
describes where our gitweb lives, and defines a way to build an http://
URL from a git commit SHA1. It would be nice because our gitweb might
move, or be converted to CGIT at some point, for example.

I guess this falls into the category of better launchpad integration
with external source code repositories.  Certainly, better git
integration in LP would be awesome, especially due to its popularity
amongst open source projects.

PS. I can happily make our robot code available if anyone is interested.
It isn't perfect, but it does incorporate some nice features.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,